Game 2 - Brewers with a vengeance



Game 2

Brewers again, same opponent;  the engineers.  We had to bring an early end to the game due to closing of the store / opponent had to leave.

I used the same line-up as in my previous game:
Tapper – Scum – Hooper – Spigot – Mash – Stave

Tom’s line-up:
Ballista – Mainspring – Ratchet – Salvo – Velocity - Colossus

– Again I failed to take notes + some rules had to be looked up.  We didn’t feel like we were playing slowly but we went in over 4 hours…-


Kickoff:


I made the Engineers kick.  Velocity got the ball and kicked it to the right.

Turn 1

*Hooper sprints up to get the ball, and passes it to Mash. 1MP for brewers.
*Ballista gives mainspring second wind and comes up middle field, nobody within reach.
*Mash Jogs up the field and passes to spigot, but fails the pass.  Luckily enough the ball scatters within 1’’ of spigot and snaps to him.
*Colossus comes on the field somewhat centred
*Spigot sprints forwards, passes to Tapper who uses the one MP to Pass’n’Move. The generated MP from the pass is put into Time’s Called
*Ratchet tinkers a bit on mainspring overclocking him… Comes up and shoots spigot.
*Tapper Passes to Stave and does a Give’n’Go bringing him within Time’s Called  I move Tapper further up hoping to receive the ball again from Scum (who will have gotten it from Stave) and make a snapshot after my activation ends.  But with the influence left I smash Velocity in the face KD’ing her and causing a little bit of DMG.
*Salvo comes up and shoots Tapper KD’ing him.
*Stave sprints up and lobs a barrel in between velocity and Salvo(or was it Ratchet, can’t remember).  Velocity is pushed 4’’ towards Stave and Spigot. The other guy saw it coming and is unaffected.
*Some measuring is done and mainspring second wind/sprints into a position where both Tapper and Spigot get hurt, but nobody else.  2VP for the Brewers.
*Scum jogs in for an attack on velocity Doing 2M DMG and keeping the ball.
*Velocity attacks Scum – going for a tackle and again for dodgepicks to get out of reach.

Turn 2:

Engineers have more MP + My roll was below average…
*Colossus engages Tapper and gets near Velocity
*Tapper lets Colossus have some KD’s and M DMG output for the win, Heroic for more attacks.
*Ballista Shoots tapper with deadbolt and tries to shoot another of my players (can’t remember who, but he failed to land a hit so doesn’t matter much)
*Scum is in the way for spigot to charge Velocity, so decides to go out of his way charging Colossus instead. For 2 M DMG
*Looks like the engineers wanted to bring mainspring back but don’t have enough MP to do so… Salvo activates. 2 Floored Bolts on Scum (one misses, one hits) 1 Floored Bolt on Tapper (it hits)
*Spigot jogs towards Velocity and attacks, goes for the Tackle (MP + ByeBye Close control) from only one net hit. Attacks again for the M KD, Ball scatters towards Mash but does not snap to him. +2 TAC does not get the 3 M DMG I was hoping for, so Velocity gets 2’’ push instead.
*Ratchet creates Mainspring and moves to within 4’’ of Ballista to throw Blast earth at Tapper and Scum.
*Stave lobs a barrel pushing Ballista back and pushing Ratchet towards Collosus who stops his movement.  Velocity is not hit.  He Jogs up close to Velocity for an attack.  I went for 2 plain DMG, no momentum.
*Velocity activates and gives up her advance to get rid of the KD.
*Hooper runs to the back line to protect the goal if needed next turn.
*Mainspring jumps to a better position for next turn…
*Mash gets the ball and runs it towards Tapper in an attempt to let him make a Snapshot.  Fails the pass, it scatters and spigot has it again.

Turn 3

A Roll of one for initiative does not help my cause…
*Velocity charges into Spigot with nimble up.  Tackles and dodges out.
*Stave looks at Velocity with his Barrel Lob, but misses, Colossus is hit, but his movement is stopped by Tapper. Ratchet is not hit.
*Ballista comes closer again for better Aura after using MP to get up. Deadbolts (I think) Spigot. And Flurry on Tapper (Pulse) and Scum(Target) thus saving Collosus from DMG (if Targetting Tapper for easier hit with lower Def, Collosus would’ve taken some love…)  Allas, the Cat has 5 DEF and the Flurry Fails.
*Tapper goes all out on Collosus, using his legendary to get more hits in and looking at the cat for if he fails his intentions.  Tapper comes through and kills Collossus 4VP for Brewers!
*Mainspring is not happy with this and gets Overclocked from Ratchet who walked up to her and shoots at Tapper.
*Hooper goes right, hoping to intercept Velocity if needed.
*Mainspring blows up dealing more DMG to the cat and Tapper. (cat is almost dead
L so is Tapper)
*For some reason I put Scum towards Velocity, not reaching her and stepping out of 4’’ from Tapper… (mistake?)
*Salvo KD’s Stave.
*Mash Also goes up to the hinder Velocity if she decides to make a run down field, forcing her to go to the edge of the board if she wants to advance.
(*Colossus is dead)

Turn 4

Again I can’t get the initiative.
*For some reason my opponent does not activate Velocity first I think she got second wind. Can’t really say what exactly happened, but I try to hit Velocity with Scum, hoping for a hamstring, but I fail to do it, I do get  1MP and 2 DMG in.  As my opponent sees I can hit again with Stave Velocity tries to solve this riddle, but as I announce I’ll do a counter attack he decides to just go for the parting blow instead…  I do not get my KD… So Stave goes after her to the best of his abilities and tries to lob a barrel at her to push her even further to the table edge.  That works, but then I measure some distances clearly indicating I’m trying to push her off the board next turn.  Engineers adapt to that by shooting bolts in Stave pushing him back and knocking him down.  I get scum back into position for more influence generation and Spigot, Mash and Hooper form a defensive line to stop Velocity from closing in on the goal.

Turn 5

I think I won the initiative this time.  I see Tom looking at my defensive line and I can see the wheels turning in his head on how to shoot away one of the players holding the line.  I myself believe that is the opportunity to do some thinking myself on how to get Stave that 2’’ further so he CAN reach velocity. (Colossus is brought back on)
*Tapper activates and goes in for Ratchet, but I only gave him 2 influence in case Stave doesn’t make it and Mash and or Hooper had to do the work (hey got some more INF). I generate the influence! Don’t remember how.
*I believe Ballista shoots Mash with a Deadbolt, after that some measuring is done to reveal Velocity is too far away from goal to score this turn without doing some magic repositioning on her part.
*I activate Spigot Charging Ratchet and picking MP over DMG to put up Time’s Called giving Stave the extra 2 inch since he’s inside the aura and having one MP to spend on removing conditions (Stave is till KD)  -premeasuring this  brings panic to Tom’s eyes.
*Ratchet moves somewhat but remains within reach so does not take parting blows? Then he shoots of an arrow taking away the extra 2’’ by blasting the earth where Stave and Tapper stand.
*Mash goes in for a charge on Velocity with his 2’’ reach, another small thing that was overlooked by Tom.  Lucky enough for him I only get 1M Push. Shoving Velocity further towards the board edge and away from my goal.
I’m not certain of what happens next but for some reason Velocity is still near the board edge.  I think Mash got pushed back, be it by Salvo’s shooting or something else I can’t remember…  Stave gets up using MP to get closer to Velocity.

Turn 6

I fail to take the initiative again.  Once again Tom chooses to do something else than activating Velocity first,  he is concentrating on dealing damage to Scum and Tapper who are both low on health.  Leaving my first turn open for Stave to barrel lob Velocity off the board! 6VP.  Scum gets taken out soon after.  Spigot goes after the ball passing it to Tapper who is left field away from most engineer players, Tapper tries to catch his breath postponing the inevitable and unable to reach the goal.  I choose to sprint away and kick the ball in my left corner away from any Engineer.    At the end of this turn Tapper is at 2 HP. And knows the end is neigh…

Turn 7

Initiative is mine again!  Velocity is on the board again and I crave for momentum so I charge hooper up to Ratchet or salvo, can’t remember.  Engineers regroup somewhat and fire some arrows from Ballista to get some MP for their own.  Tapper uses the MP to give Spigot 2 extra Influence and sets up his aura.  I think Ratchet responds by creating mainspring again .  Spigot is able to fight Colossus without Charging in inside the aura.  Colossus gets KD on the third attack after taking 3 DMG, giving Spigot +2 TAC and gets taken out again! 8-2 for Brewers!  If only I can get a goal in know… Spigot dies from ballista, Tapper dies… 8-6.
At this point we end the game early as Tom has to go + the store is about to close…

Where I improved my game:

Scum has movement when you activate her I made good use of the dodges!!
I was all ready to gang up on KD’d players, but I got lucky not needing a gang.  My take out’s were pure solo-plays (well one was Spigot with aura from Tapper)
I disrupted the gameplay more with Stave.
2 uses of Old Jake’s, I don’t recall if I might have had more opportunities to put it up.

What I need to remember :

Parting blows have +2TAC
Take out conditions also generate MP

Thoughts about my line-up:

Without going into detail per player like I did last report I’m going to come to a conclusion.  I need a faster striker!  Next game I’m concentrating on moving Mash up as a striker more, if it doesn’t work he’ll get subbed by Friday, no further questions asked.  In my eyes two slow 40mm based figures don’t work well together.  Although it could just be the way I play…

Overall idea of the game:

Overall I’m pleased with my second game.  Not sure how it would’ve ended, but I had plot cards allowing me to bring on Tapper at full health and with second wind!  So maybe a goal was still possible, who knows…
Downside was that I broke off the foam coming out of Stave’s barrel, moved spigot by his glued-on arm and snapped it off.  Tom also let Collosus slip breaking him into pieces…  What a shame since the paintjob done on them was awesome!
I need to get a chess clock to find out where we take up all that time…  Must be the browsing through the rules…

That’s it for me!  See you next time!

Comments