Game 21 - Masons VS Alchemists – Casual game (learning the alchemists)


Game 21 - Masons VS Alchemists – Casual game (learning the alchemists)
Hello Guild Ballers,
At long last I am changing my play-list.  No I’m not playing Esters. I’m playing a different guild today!  Masons!  I had planned to read up on the cards beforehand, but as I have a life outside of guild ball (I wish I wouldn’t sometimes) I didn’t get a chance.  So arriving on the scene I brought these as a pure masons line-up:   Honour, Marbles, Harmony, Flint, Mallet, Chisel

My opponent for today is Jens.  A player who played Alchemists a few times and fell in love with them.  His line-up: Smoke – Flask – Venin – Calculus – Mercury  - Vitriol

This is from the top of my head, as we are used to by now!

Game summary:

I had to kick the ball and I did so with honour.  I had no Idea how to distribute influence so I gave them all 2 and honour 3 if I remember correctly…  WRONG as it will soon turn out as from turn 1 it goes tits up.

Turn 1:

I kick off and the ball lands just over the middle line.
* Jens brings one of his players forward.  I don’t remember who it was, possibly vitriol.
* I’m confused as the ball is up for grabs and I can’t charge, something I hoped for.  So I decide to sacrifice chisel to get the ball and kick it back to my team.  It scatters towards Mallet who snaps it to his feet.
* Mercury comes up and blasts some fire on Chisel.
* Mallet misses his pass to Flint (Rats no momentum) and sprints to follow the ball, snap it and unsnaps it again so Flint is in possession of the ball.  At this point I’m already hating myself for only putting 2 on Flint.
* Calculus walked up just close enough to Blind Honour and put her into a Noxious Blast.
* Harmony goes up field but doesn’t do anything.
* Smoke comes in and puts Fire on Harmony by moving an AOE, also copies the poison to put it on Harmony.  Then he also moved a poison AOE over Honour. I’m shitting my pants.  Why did I put my team up this far again?
* Marbles goes up towards the middle of the field, hoping to assist Honour next turn somewhere but tools her up anyway… you never know where Venin will end up.
* Venin walks up and hits Chisel.  Then does Coagulation to give bleed on Harmony and Chisel. (Why did I put Harmony there?)
* Honour charges Venin and push dodges him into Range of Marbles and buys another attack (Of course I forget to add the Assist [Marbles])
* Flask moves a bit and pops some smoke
* Flint has only 2 INF and has no way of scoring that I see…  I run him up on the side of the board through the fast ground.
-I screwed up the order of activations somewhere Since I’m pretty sure I did the linked play activating Honour first and then Harmony after – or was that the second turn? I believe Flask ended with running towards Flint and popping smoke.  Ah Well… 
Anyway…  The conditions do me in good and Chisel is at 1 – Harmony on 3 or 4.

Turn 2:


Having no momentum the turn goes to Alchemists.
* Vitriol Charges Flint I believe and opts to tackle the ball.  (yes I forgot about close control) Can’t remember if there was another attack for some damage. But Vitriol tries to leave taking a parting blow where I tackle the ball back. With her last attack she then tackles the ball again.
* Flint activates and hits flask to push dodge closer to vitriol, then hits vitriol to tackle but fails to hit.  The third (and last influence) on him does the trick and the ball is ours again.
* Mercury charges in on Flint to tackle the ball, (Yes I forgot about charmed MALE) I counterattack to tackle the ball back.  Mercury then hits me again to tackle the ball yet again, unsnaps it and it snaps to Vitriol.
*I buy an attack with Harmony on Venin.
* Some more conditions are thrown around and by the end of the turn the Alchemists are in possession of the  ball and Chisel and Harmony go to the sickbay suffering from the taken out condition.  I tried to clear some conditions with the momentum I had, but 1” aura’s suck balls.
I don’t have initiative, I don’t bring the girls back on.

Turn 3: 

I don’t clearly remember turn 3, somehow the ball ends up on Smoke, who runs up to my goal jumping into smoke to get even further away.  Marbles and Honour are taken out.  Mallet took a swing at Venin.  I bring the three girls back on.  Chisel in the ballpath from Smoke to the goal, Harmony behind her blocking another line towards the goal.  Honour goes up to threaten Smoke.
For a first activation Alchemists are looking for momentum.  I think Flint gets hit to that end.
Chisel Charges base to base to negate unpredictable movement and starts eating away at Smoke’s life.  He doesn’t die.  Vanishes in Smoke and kicks at goal for the win.  The end.

Where I improved my game:

Well I can’t speak of improving my gameplay with the masons since it was my first game with them.  That being said; I’m sure I’m going to brush up to the wall instead of running into it head first next time.  No need to break the wall down if there's already holes for doors and windows (of oportunity) there!

What I need to remember :

READ THE CARDS – if not before you go up to the venue, at least before playing the game itself!
Flint has close control and charmed male.  MArbles has loved creature, Honour has Assist from Marbles.  Mallet has knockback!  Can't expect your opponent to know your players now can you?! :/

Thoughts about my line-up:

It is a line-up that has potential.  Against alchemists I might look to bring a model that has beter DEF to avoid being hit by the AOE plays.  But I’m willing to try again using this same line-up.  I’m sure there’s a better way of piloting these, so no changes yet.  (Although I have Minx, Decimate and Snakeskin ready to go on the field, Brick and Tower are on the workbench still in the package they came in.)  Spread the players out more and go for Smoke ASAP, give Flint what he needs or more!

Overall idea of the game:

Big thumbs up to Jens I had a fun game even though mistakes were made and I didn’t get to play any guild ball (or so it feels) having lost 14-0.  I gave him the choice what team he wanted to play against and I was keen on trying out something other than brewers.  But to be honest, brewers will always be my main team.


Thoughts for later:

I need to take pictures with my phone of the game to include into the reports.  It will be easier to write them and it will bring some visualisation of the game into the blog!


See you next time Guild Ballers!

Comments