Tournament Report: Summer Slam; Games 18 - 19 - 20

Hello Guild Ballers!

A bit late since the tournament was last Saturday already, but I've finally started writing up my report on the Summer Slam Tournament in Gent the 18th of June.

I came in second after tiebreakers after having three wins as you'll read up.

To find my line-up I used go read this bit of the blog here:  " picking my tournament 8"

So here goes:

Getting there:

Although my wife knew I was going to play in a tournament that day she forgot about when I had to leave.  I had to unload some Ikea DIY furniture before I could leave.  This brought some extra stress into my day, and I was already nervous after coming in second on my first tournament.  I had to show my games weren't all just about lucky dice rolls.
Anyway, I felt like having swallowed a brick and wanted to get rid of it more than once using the toilets for an attempt at number 2 without much succes.  After arriving it didn't take long before my friends at the club noticed I was 'on edge'.  Some found that funny and it wasn't helping at all.  I visited the mensroom in the WEC (again) before we started and read through the tournament document.  I was glad to see the time per player was upped to 45' since we played to 12 VP.  (It was announced as 35' per player as the TO wanted to keep the rounds short and thought about having 8VP games at first.  After going to 12VP games the time wasn't adjusted with it in the announcement)  We brought our own 'clocks' to time the event.  In my case it was an app on my phone, that was almost dry and about to die on me.  An extention cord enabled me to plug in my phone to charge it and use it on the table at the same time.  I used this as an excuse not to move tables (as the tables weren't numbered and we had the liberty to pick the tables we played at)  So that was it.  I was all set.  Jumping from one leg onto the other hoping I'd do at least as well as in the previous tournament.  Having had a chat with all the guys that came in grasping for the title of being the number one Summer Slammer I was awaiting to hear who'd be the first obstacle towards that goal.

Round 1 (my guild ball game number 18)

Wesley, one of the locals I had played in a friendly game before, using butchers.  I knew this was going to be a hard game.  I played it on the safe side and fielded my base six. (Tapper - Scum - Hooper - Friday - Spigot - Stave).  The game didn't start off all that well.  I wanted to barrel lob one of his high def players closer to my captain for a beatdown but failed.  So I ended up overextending Hooper and Tapper into the Butcher line-up, using them as a shield to set up Friday for a goal.  This took several turns to happen and it went down pretty much as I expected. Tapper and Hooper took down their target, Tapper died for it.  Friday socred a goal whilst Tapper came on the field again to go beat down Princess and Brisket.  Hooper died due to being left alone in the meatgrinder.  The score was 6-4 to brewers when the TO came and called a dice down ending the game.  One activation more for the butchers would have made it a 6-8 to them, since after the goalkick he was ready to take the shot.  Another for me would have hopefully put me back up to 10-8 with Tapper going in for an already hurt Brisket and the dog next to her.  But it didn't come to that.  I'm not sure if the Butchers could' have socre VP in the activation after that, I don't think so, and I had the ball again with friday well up there to receive and shoot again, and to be fair, Ox wasn't looking all that happy either with his HP drained...  But we'll never know what would have happened ...  The score when dice down was called is what we have to live wiht: 6-4 to the brewers.  Time to wash that down with some Duvel, the finest Brew of them all.

Round 2 (game number 19)

Wouter, with Midas led alchemists.
I had played Wouter before, just the once in a 6 player game and once before in a demo game.  I knew he was a force to recon with, but since he's also one of my best friends I was ok with loosing to him if it came to that.  I fielded Tapper - Scum - Hooper - Friday - Rage - Mash.  I kicked with Mash.  Midas came in and had a look at Super Shot (on Mash) and Tooled up (on Rage)  I can't remember what he picked since he never used it.  Midas got murdered after scoring a goal and the Alchemists never recovered from that.  My 2" reach players stayed out of harms way of the 1" aura to deal some damage and Friday scored.  I ended up winning 12-4.  If I had to guess it was 1 goal 4 take outs. But I can't really remember.  I think Wouter was caught off guard a bit, I stepped up my game since we played last and I didn't let Midas fool around.  We had 30' to spare so another Duvel to celebrate another victory was ordered.

I checked with the TO and it would all come down to the last game.  I was still in the running to end in the top 3.  Jens (with tiebreakers) an engineers player was ahead of me and some games were yet to end.  But as it was chances were I would play Jens for a place in the top 3.  A sight I did not look forward too.  I played Jens before in the take a breather lad tournament in Antwerp and I only won that game because he slipped up.  He did switch from Ballista to Pin Vice since, but in no way that made me feel any better.  In the end Dries Haemhouts ended his game with a third victory using Corsair in a Fish line-up jumping over us both.  So he had to play Jens.  As for me...

Round 3 (game number 20)

Tom, playing engineers with hoist.
Tom is the one player I have come up against time and again.  Untill now I've always come up on top.  He brought a high DEF line-up this time and it showed.  I had trouble taking his guys out for VP.  They did die in the end but not as fast as I'd hoped.  I also missed a lot of passes in this game, disabling a snapshot goal with Mash once.  Mainspring picked up the ball and ran of with it to the other side of the pitch.  My line-up was the same as against the Alchemists Wouter brought:  Tapper - Scum - Hooper - Friday - Rage - Mash.  Tom forgot about Mash's unpredictable movement a couple of times throwing him of his game and slowing him down as he was looking for sollutions.  I think he had 4' left on the clock against my almost 15' when time was called and dice down ended our game at 12-4 to the brewers.  I had scored early with Friday, looked to do so again with Mash when I was at 6 VP after a take - out and only then started working really hard for the take-outs to win me the game.  Compound was the one that came up field to score for the engineers!  The rest of the game he used him to keep Rage in check in the middle of the field (well more like in the middle of the left half).  That was the reason I was playing football against his team, as Tapper and Hooper engaged the main strikers of the team.  To bad I missed some 4 dice passes though...  Ah well, all ended with me ordering yet another Duvel.
I knew if I won it would all come down to tiebreakers to see if I was 2nd or 3rd.  With the winner in the Dries vs Jens game taking 1st place.

2nd Place is mine! 

What is that you say?  You won't take my word for it after 3 Duvels?  Well go have a look on tiebreaker then: summer slam standings 

We ended the tournament with a friendly chat and a short game of 'bellend' where I turned up a lot of 6'es The Bell Enderest Of them ALL
Oh, and a couple more Duvels went down too...

As a final word I would like to say thank you to all attending this event!  Even though it is a tournament setting it didn't feel like one.  To me this was more like an event where we got a bigger part of the community together to have some games of guild ball.  And yes I was nervous, yes I wanted to do well, but that didn't stop us (me) from having fun now did it?

I would like to say sorry to Wesley for mistaking the ball path measurement tool as being 1"wide (it isn't) So I'm glad we measured it out and I didn't play what I had in mind.  I honestly thought it was 1", but I have learnt.

I would like to give a special thanks to the WEC (World's End Comics) for letting TO Robin host the event there! And of course a big thank you to Robin himself for hosting the event.

All in all I'm happy to have the 'I come in second' disease instead of the Chris Hay sickness of coming in 4'th.  /jk  - I am well aware that the level of game-play in Belgium isn't up there as it is in the UK (as our number one came in midway or even below on the vengeance event) -

So that 's it!  I hope to get out the players real soon again for a friendly game!
See you on the guild ball fields one day!


Comments