Game 23 - Tapper vs Obulus

Game 23 - Tapper vs Obulus

This game is one long overdue.  Against one of the regulars from my gaming club Thunderbolts Gent , Phil.  He played morticians as the title may have already lead you on...  This was his entire line-up:

Obulus - Dirge - Silence - Ghast - Graves - Mist.  Have a look at them ! (Yes, the goal token is the crusified 'batwoman'.


My line-up kicked Spigot in favour of Avarisse & Greede:

Tapper - Scum - Friday - Hooper - Stave - Avarisse & Greede.

I figured, if he'll tell me who to use last or first I might aswell have an extra activation.

The game:
After winning the roll I opted to recieve.  The ball was kicked right in front of my line-up so I didn't even have to run up to get it.  I spent some time kicking it from player to player to generate momentum.  Tried to barrel lob silence into the (not loaded up to the teeth) Tappermachine.  Failed that so had to use a teamwork action to get tapper 4 up the field and hit for a minor bit of damage on Silence.
Silence did go off the field next turn.  Obulus was next even though he tried to heal himself up once.  The dirty knives dipped in poison from Friday did the job to finish him off after he had already recieved a 'comon mate' from another of his teammates (I think Dirge stood him up from a knock down).  I was careful not to have the ball on me as I feared the puppet master shenanigans.  Meanwhile the morticians tried to dish out some damage but didn't focus on one player giving me the option to distribute my momentum over them to heal up or remove conditions as needed.  As a result I almost never had the initiative.  This caused an oportunity for Mist who picked up the ball and scored.  But he didn't recover from crowding out by Avarisse, Greede, Scum and Hooper who kicked his teeth in.  Stave jumped on top of him for the take out.  Obulus tried to jog Tapper out of position but Avarisse knocked him down keepin him within range of a player or two.
Next up was a brewer party around Ghast and Graves, finished up by the infamous Tapper who, after murdering Graves won initiative to get the other (Ghast) next turn, then charged in towards Dirge to knock the bird on the ground and land two hits on Silence for another knockdown.
Phil wasn't fooled by the Tapper move (maybe the influence on Hooper and Friday gave it away :-p) and went for the ball with Obulus Shadowing around Friday (who was in scoring range) Dodging after some hits to get out of her melee, walking towards Hooper, who had the ball near him but not on him.  Hooper attacked Obulus hoping to get a knock down, opening the field for a pass towards Friday who then would hopefully snapshot for the win.  Hooper didn't get to three net-hits with two attacks (one of them with True Grit up) and used his last influence to pass with one die towards Friday.  I rolled the much apreciated 6 and used the two momentum I had to snapshot rolling a screamer towards the victory! 14 - 4 for brewers!

Overall idea of the game:

It might not sound like it, but it was a very close game in my opinion.  I had the fortune to take out his players one after the other disrupting the synergy they had.  If I had missed a few more rolls on taking out Mist, or failed to score the final goal...   Mist might have gotten another goal in and/or Friday would have been eaten alive by Graves.  Silence making go Avarisse last was a pain (a momentous singled out on one giving others 2 TAC is nuts and beats tooled up in my opinion)

Where I improved my game:

I don't think I made a lot of mistakes.  And if I did, I didn't spot them.   Maybe I've left some of my players to close to eachother, but Phil never used his puppet master to punish me for it.  I did get hit with the balming fluid a lot, but I lived to tell the tale. 

Thoughts about my line-up:

Avarisse and Greede were perfect for this matchup.  Why? Avarisse is harder to kill than Spigot and gave +2 TAC to get the needed dice on the overal high DEF players of the morticians (Maybe somebody can do the math on this to tell me what's better in this case for the Brewers... more TAC or damage bonus with a lower TAC) .  Greede was ignored mostly and he helped adding dice to the pool to KILL KILL KILL.  Yes, Friday doesn't benefit from DEF 5 not being around Spigot, but was held back as much as possible until I actually wanted to go further up field to score a goal.  I might field Mash next time against Morticians, although my Dirty Knives did help lower the DEF when they hit.  
 Somewhere halfway through the game Avarisse started getting attention from Silence and had to go last, this tells me Phil didn't like to be singled out.  But I still love the extra activation the model brings so even if you shut him out from the get go, I still think he's worth it.


Well I remembered to take one picture at the start of the game, so I'm improving!  I must say, the more games I play the more I apreciate the bloggers/vloggers out there who make an effort in shooting the pics needed or playing into the camara for a nice experience as a viewer.  I can only hope my readers enjoy what I do the way I do it.  And I'm looking to improve my content, but it is so easy to get lost in a game and forget about the blog whilst playing.

So who knows what will come up next ?  Don't get your hopes up too high, I seem to be a slow learner ...

See you next time!
Bob Out

 

Comments