Game 34 - Brewers in the meatgrinder, again...

Hello Guild Ballers!

We're back with another report.  My 2nd game against Jona.
Jona who gave me yet another pounding...

Beforehand I told myself not to go toe to toe with the butchers.
They fight better than the brewers do, so ... STAY AWAY ... and play football.

In my head I had the idea of taking spigot and Friday along a flank.  Making her usefull with (tooled up) dirty knives from a distance if needed.
Scum would stay behind as far as Tapper would allow him - with the option to either go in for a kill under commanding aura late in the turn where I could shadowlike away next turn into safety OR to get called over by Friday holding the ball for a goal attempt.

Hooper and Mash would help control the middle with the 2" melee + engaging the butchers as far from eachother as possible.  So with that plan in mind I fielded exactly the forementioned players:

Tapper - scum - Spigot - Hooper - Mash - Friday

Jona fielded his Butchers:

Ox - Princess - Brisket - Boiler - Shank - Boar.

As per usual,  I arrived at the venue after work and feuled up.  I was at number 4 (Duvels, what else?) when Jona arrived and was determined to beat the butchers this time! A hard thing to do while actually drunk...

Let the games begin.


Turn 1:
I receive the ball, use it for some passes, some of which fail, but snap to anyway. And set up like I planned, be it with less momentum than I dreamed about.  Friday went up to the side, tooled up and flung some knives at Ox, with Spigot backing her up from behind, boosting her DEF stats.
Ox didn't like that and went in pure butchers style, he did rather poorly.  Tapper charged Ox and took him out in one go. I looked at the board state and was discouraged.  I had all my brewers in one area again...  But I let out a loud drunken roar!  I killed OX! I might survive...

Turn 2:
Tapper goes again and takes out Boiler.  Shank uses his shankyness to sneak up on the cat and steal the ball.  Hooper goes after the ball and knocks Shank down, leaving him for what he is to pass the ball back to scum.  By that time Ox is already back on the field and runs towards the fight where Tapper is getting his face smashed in by Boar.
Brisket still has to activate so I'm reluctant to pass the ball to Friday so soon.  Mash plays with the little doggy instead, but doesn't kill him (afraid of loved creature) and fails to execute the plan... (move up forwards to sneak in a snapshot later in turn 3 or 4) At this point I don't know what to do.  Boar is engaging Friday, so she could shadowlike away, but then where can she go?  Scum is in a bad position to get called over... Spigot goes next.  Sets up his heroic hoping to  help Friday score a goal nex, time is called.
The dog goes next, so Brisket still has to go... I've been outmanoeuvred... What to do?  I start swining on Brisket with Friday.  OH man, what am I doing?  I'm fighting butchers again!!  The tables turn (no I didn't flip the table, I mean, well, read on and find out!)

Turn 3:
The butchers win initiative.  Ox pops his legendary, Tapper dies.  I take out Brisket.  Boar goes after Mash who dies. Shank steals the ball of the cat again.  I try to get the ball back with Hooper, I think I failed, or it got scattered of a KD and went the wrong way, can't remember...  In the end it's not looking good for the brewers who had a nice 4-0 lead to start with and now look at a defeat even though they are ahead...

Turn 4:
Shank gets momentum of Hooper, fetches the ball and scores.  Tapper goes into Shank but the dice fail and nothing happens...  Nothing! There isn't even a spark in Tappers play to light his pipe! (I can't even remember where I kicked the ball -I think I killed it, or did I throw it in the scrum / onto scum?- , Should've written the report ASAP instead of a week after playing right?)

After this it's all a blur.  And for anybody who doesn't get why... I'll have 4 Duvels with that person then have a game and make him write the report!

Vaguely I remeber Shank scooping up the ball again after a 'where'd they go' and scoring again, but that might have been a deja vu.  In any case there was no coming back.  Spigot, Hooper, scum and Friday were all in the middle of the fray, hurting.  I can still see the anger in the eyes from that moment when I field them again.  For being drunks they sure don't like being bossed around by one...

All I do know is the game ended 6-12 for the butchers with me discouraged and totally bewildered but determined to get my vengeance... I'll get you Jona!!  And if you win again, I'll find some other lame excuse.  I might blame the dice that time and chuck them out the window!

Thoughts about my lineup:


I needed Stave.  Stave was the one player that could've lobbed the barrel into the scrum to part them all and press the reset button.  So next time I'm fielding him again.  If boar and Ox are the only one that get hit in a situation like that, well fine. That's the chance I'll take.  Knowing myself I might put him up front too soon again, but that remains to be seen.
I also need to think more about how I set up every player.  Friday started her turn too close to the middle and I didn't mean for her to be Ox-bait, but she turned out to be just that anyway.  This in itself caused my fighting team that was on the right side of her to close in and bunch all my brewers up again.  If I do that, I must remember to retreat with Friday ASAP.  Nothing wrong with  a first turn shadowlike away, Dirty knives on a juicy target and a jog to no mans land...

Thoughts about the game in general:

This game has made me start thinking about first turn plays with the brewers.  I used to go with Stave closer up the middle (or the sides if I could kick to sneak in the 'oops you're barreled of the board' trick) and have now shifted to the 'tool up friday and 2x dirty knives '
I'm not sure if either are the optimal way to go.  But since my first turn tempted me into the fighting game again, where I should have avoided it at all costs I need to spend some time in my own head thinking about first turn moves with my Tapper team.
All in all I know I had fun, not sure if Jona enjoyed playing a drunk though :-)

That's it!
See you next time!
Bob Out.

Comments

  1. Doesn't really sound like the wheels came off until mid turn 2. Getting back to back TOs with Tapper is good

    Stave is probably ok for the matchup, but positioning is pretty key. I reeeeeaaaally wish he had gluttonous mass or sturdy. One of them would make him considerably more forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can relate to the GM or sturdy trick. Stave would see more play if he had something, even if it was 2/3 INF. But as long as they field Boar who's also a vending machine for momentum it's ok...

      Jona is a really good player, always laid back and doesn't make a mistake (or so it seems) unless he doesn't see (know out of inexperience) somethings coming!

      Thx for the reply! I hope you enjoy the blog!

      Delete

Post a Comment