Game 38: Playing against myself, in a way...

Game 38: Playing against myself, in a way...


I'm playing Masons (2nd go with Masons) into my brewers (the Esters line-up)

I'm having a nice Duvel at the WEC, out of nowhere Wouter Raes shows up.  He has nothing planned and I'm still debating on playing a boardgame or not.  I opt out of the boardgame and pick Guild Ball (as would any player in love with the game) against Wouter.  He asks if I'm game for some 'weird shit', and I'm game for some pretty weird shit.  Honest.  Nothing much can put me off.  But this is off topic...
The proposal is this: Wouter wants to play brewers into his Masons. (I have both so we field my models.  As it just happens that I'm a bit of a clumsy brute.)

Wouter picks his line-up:
Esters - Scum - Hooper - Friday - Spigot - Mash.

I have no idea of how to play Masons, even though I played against them a couple of times.  I vaguely remember something about a Chisel missle and try hard to remember how it works and what models I need, this is the line-up I go with:

Honour - Marbles - Chisel - Mallet - Flint - Decimate.

I kick the ball with Mallet to the centre of the field and we're off.
(note that I did change the INF mid game - thx for allowing that Wouter - I gave the one INF that MArbles had to Decimate)

Turn 1:
*Esters goes first, Sings a song on herself enabling her to jog further up the field.  She picks up the ball, passes it to Mash, throws a fire blast at Mallet and puts Blast Earth in front of Chisel/Honour clipping both.
*I pop Honours legendary giving all my guys 1 INF extra (apart from Decimate) I play Superior Strategy on myself, giving me 4 INF to work with on Honour. She jogs out of the rough ground and it's back to the brewers.
*Mash walks up and passes to Friday who dodges forwards:



 (Note that the 2 INF on Marlbes is actually only one (used for Tooled up), the other was not used --> Decimate got one as you see on the pic)

*Flint goes "where'd they go" and jogs next to the barrier to stop Friday from scoring (I hope she can't cover the ground and lands short with only 2 INF on her)
*Spigot comes to sit next to Friday, hugs the obstruction and tools her up.
* Decimate Second winds Chisel and walks to the other side of the board.
* Hooper meets up with the brewers in the middle
* Marbles Tools up Chisel and goes towards the other side of the barrier to prevent Friday from sneeking past Flint.
* Friday can't get to the goal as I hoped, so she walks to 6" away from Marbles and rolls for dirty knives. I might have jinxed it by taking out the poison token already and putting it on the board...  Friday does not deliver.
* Honour goes again, gives superior strategy to Chisel and walks up to the forest after debating meeting the brewers for a beer in the middle.  She resist that Tapper urge and hides a bit.
* The cat comes up and stands in front of Esters, blocking a next turn charge/ easy attack on Esters.
* Now comes Chisel and I totally screw up.  I activate her and don't go Crazy (I should have done for the trait 'painful rage'.  I jog her out of the rough ground, second wind her next to Flint and activate her again.  This time I do go crazy, but I forget she has 2" melee so squeeze her in between Spigot and Friday who are now both engaging her.  I charge Friday, who counterattacks... (smack my face in right?)  Because of the counter attack I go with Feel my pain and 2 DMG (for the tooled up).  Chisel takes the counter attack.  Friday does 1 DMG (I'm on 6 now, so still no rage).  I swing at Spigot pushing him out of melee. Tackle friday and since I'm to far out for a shot on goal and the bad rolls Friday is alive but my momentum stack is rather big. Even after healing Chisel up.  This is the end of turn 1:





















Turn 2:

As I win the momentum race for initiative I get to go first.
* Chisel knows she'll get a brewer bashin' soon so she attacks Friday, not able to kill her but dodging her way out of melee for momentum and a dodge to walk up field for a shot on goal, bonus timed:

 (Do you see my pain?  Do you? If not here's a blow up of the dice:)


I DID NOT SCORE !!!
* It went all downhill from here.  Spigot came and hit Chisel - didn't kill her.
* Mallet said hello to Friday and finished her of.
* Hooper clubs Chisel into the grass flattening out the score.
* The monkey flings some poo at Mash
* Mash beats the monkey
* Honour charges into Mash
* Hell if I know what the cat is up to, the little scumbag is running towards the forest.
* Decimate closes in on the cat.


* Helga goes in to spell out her guts, not on Honour but on the monkey, who dies.


* Flint walks up mid field to hopefully intercept the ball next turn.
Friday walks back on the pitch snapping the ball and brewers go first.


Turn 3:

I kinda forgot in what order all this happened... but here goes per team:
* Friday came up with the ball and poisoned Honour.  Mash smashed Mallets face in and got a little help from Hooper who killed him.  Big momma got into a fight with Honour and Decimate.  Spigot got in a fistfight with mr Gay himself.  The cat hid between Big Momma's legs.
* Mallet knocked Mash down for hitting him.  Chisel came up to play goalkeeper Honour tried to do some damage on Big Momma, so did Decimate.  Dice Failed, I cried.
2-6 to  brewers.


Turn 4: 
No notes, bad memory gives me this - Mallet walks on :
* Fight in the middle continues, fight between Flint and Spigot goes on.
Friday misses a goal (I believe) after Chisel decided to stay back.

Turn 5:
again I lose initiative and this happens:
* Friday charges into Chisel and tackles the ball and puts some damage on Chisel from a wraparound :

Then she takes Chisel out: 2 - 8 to the brewers.

Then she scores a goal... 2 - 12 to the brewers...



Game ended 02 - 12 for the brewers (yes!! although I didn't play them...)

Thoughts about my line-up:
 As dissapointed I was with Chisel, I know I played her wrong so I'm willing to give her another go next game.
Wouter asked me what Decimate was doing in the team other than providing second wind for the Chisel Missile.  I wanted to say: Dude she can play football, and what about a thousand Cuts ... But I only used a thousand cuts once and failed to attack the target suffering from it propperly.  And I never played football.
So to all you Masons players out there that read this: help a brewer out... convert him even! Share your secrets!  Learn me to play Guild Ball ! (I refuse to admit I'm a lost cause...)

Overall Thoughts about the game:

Chisel should've stayed 2" Away from both Spigot and Friday during the missile activation. +  Should've gone crazy twice for the painful rage AND should only have concentrated on Friday.  It went all downhill from there since I had no Idea what to do with masons once the neat trick failed to deliver it's magic to me (my own fault I know). I still need to figure out how this football game actually incorporates footballing in my way of playing.  The road to bloodlust is more apealing to me...
As the game progressed so did the alcohol level in my blood, so appologies to the other people in the WEC for being a bit lively (read spouting nonsense in a bombastic loud voice).
And lastly this: I had FUN! More fun than my previous two games with Esters!
I'm going to take her out for another spin myself soon!  I promise...  (after my vacation - but that'll be over before this game gets posted, so hang in there! She's coming!)

That's all folks!  Till next time!

Bob Out

Comments