The Rusty Cup: Part Two - Travelin'

Hello Guild Ballers,

Thursday the 23rd

As I remember it was a nice afternoon, I geared up, loaded everything in my motorcycle only to get gutpunched by the inevitable: My 8 bottles of Duvel don't fit !!!
I tried rearranging but ended putting them back in the storage room of our house.  I started the engine and started the 2 hour drive towards Calais.
About half way I noticed my tankbag wasn't there.  Swearing loudly in my helmet I tried figuring out where I had left it...  In my home! (I hoped - and later it turned out to be. At least I didn't lose it along the road)  In it was my 2 GoPro's and a Sony camera - no filming during games or driving - nor visiting York. Ah well... I'll live.

I arrived a bit sooner than I expected at Calais Port and they allowed me to get on the next ship allowing me to get 1 hour ahead on my scheduele!  First time I had to secure my motorcycle on a ship, it didn't go wrong, so hey, finally things started going my way!
Disembarking I took the hang of driving on the wrong side of the road (right?) up untill I arrived at Dartford.  I checked into my hotel and asked for WiFi (3 pound for a day)  A message awaited me - a friend who I was supposed to meet with in Upwell Wisbech - it read: "My wife is sick, I don't know if it's contagious so you'd be better of not coming by.  I don't want to ruin your week-end."  I decided I might stop by on the way home on monday.  Ate a steak and went to bed.

Friday the 24th

Seeing my stop was canceled I decided to drive up to York in one go through London.  The roundabout on Woolwich Ferry was packed!  I started queueing only to end up shouted at!  You don't have to wait in line!  You can drive up straight past the gate!  Well, I thought the british were known for queuing and I missed my chance to join in, only becaurse I took the wrong type of vehicle! Filling up the tank 3 times after the ferry on my way to York took me there under the bright sun.  I arrived at my next home away from home almost 10 hours to early.  To find nobody was home.  A friendly neighbour who had a cleft palate when she was younger adressed me.  I had the worst time understanding her and started doubting my knowledge of the english language.  She was friendly enough to ring her neighbour at whose house I'd stay.  We agreed to meet at her house at 15h00, so I drove back into York looking for a spot to park my motorcycle.  In the end I ended up parking on the marygate Car Park after looking around for free parking.  I saw there was a gate with a ticketmachine, but decided to cheat.  I drove my motorcycle up the pedestrian entrance and cheated my way in (and out) without paying.  A short walk in my leather motorcycle suit back up High Petergate took me to the Minster and I enjoyed watching the tourist taking selfies whilst having lunch at Bennet's café and Bistro.
I arrived back at my host's house in time and settled in.  A bycicle was presented to me as a way of transport, but it didn't have a luggage rack, or any lighting for that matter.  We managed to get one of those portable red ligths working to strap on the back of my pants (since te clip that came with it to mount it on the bike was broken)  I asked for directions towards the Folk Hall where the Rusty Cup would take place and went on a reconissance mission.  The way up there was easy.  The place was closed off though, but somebody saw me running around the building and let me in to have a peek.  I also had a chance to buy a drink.  As a perfectly raised Belgian I asked for a beer.  They didn't have any!!  Bafflegasted I asked if there would be beer tomorrow during the event!? There was going to be. *sigh of relief*  As it turns out all I could order was what I saw in the fridge near the counter or tea or coffee.  I settled for a cup of tea (1 pound) and texted mr. Rutter informing him I had arrived and if anything was going to happen today (drinks?) I waited another tea as something was going to happen, but he didn't know what yet.  I finished my tea and went back to my host to have a bit to eat. (Pizza) I informed mr. Rutter I wouldn't have Wifi for a while and didn't hear back.  I don't know what I missed, but I turned in and got my good nights sleep !


 That's it for now folks!

Tune back in soon for the tournament itself !

Bob Out!

Comments