Playing the Worst Team according to FaceBook

Hello Guild Ballers!

Welcome back to my blog where I will shortly touch on 2 games I played this evening.

In the morning I packed up all my guild ball and left for work.  No Idea what I was going to field later that evening, I asked the interwebs over social media (Facebook) what the worst 6-man team (guild only, so no union) was that they could think of.   (Also hinting at not pitching farmers (As I don't own them + all reapers = no fun to be had), Hunters (as they are unassembled and unpainted) or Blacksmiths (since I left the handy 6-man box at home - unpainted).

This was the first team opted by Mike Smith:

Captain: Seasoned brisket
Mascot: Coin
Player 1: Fangtooth
Player 2: Hemlocke
Player 3: Grace
Player 4: Harry the hat


As I had all players in my bag (Grace unpainted and with an arm that fell off and Seasoned Brisket only half painted) I thought: why not.  I started reading the cards, knowing I'd face the Blacksmiths as they come in Box 1 (Anvil, Sledge, Ferrite, Iron, Furnace, Cinder) to familiarize myself with what they can do.

The game started and I had to kick.  Fangtooth did the honours - Ferrite was the Captain.
1&2) Hemlocke went first after Cinder had collected the ball and failed to land a pass towards her back line.  (It snaped to Furnace instead after scatter)  I put the poison cloud out to make sure  Sledge and Anvil would get poisoned if they wanted to come near the middle.
3&4) Furnace activated and failed to pass (it snapped to Iron) and then tooled up Iron.  He walked up a bit and so I activated Grace who put Quick foot on Fangers who was eager to get into a fight.
5&6) Ferrite walked up the pitch and made Iron (with the ball) come closer.  [Or did she bring the ball that it snapped to her and pass to him?  Can't rember all that well)  Harry threw a Molotov on her (it failed to hit) to make sure Iron would melt in his suit with the heat turned on if he wanted to come and fight.

7&8)  Sledge moved up, avoiding the poison AOE on the field.  Coin went up to give Fangtooth the Bag of Coffers to bring him up to 2 INF for a charge.
 9&10) My memory escapes me, but I believe Iron passed towards somebody and again failed to make the pass. dropping the ball between Fangtooth and Furnace.  - Fangers went for it and rolled 4 net hits on Furnace unmasking Cinder, Furnace, Iron and Ferrite.  He also snapped and unsnapped the ball after his charge.
 11&12)  Anvil followed Sledge up the pitch, Trisket sprinted forwards snapping the ball and after some measuring it was clear I couldn't make a shot on goal unless I used my legendary.  I chose not to, passed to Fangtooth, who dodged backwards and then used I'm open to pass the ball back to Brisket and dodge backwards with her.

Turn 2)
I win initiative and go with Harry First.
1&2)  Harry generates momentum hitting Ferrite and Knocking her down.  She stands back up and brings Iron closer to the middle with Get over Here.  Then she hits Harry and puts weak point on him.  I counter attack knocking her back down. (how lucky can you get)  She doesn't stand back up...
3&4)  Fangtooth rushes forwards and unmasks again hitting Harry, Ferrite and Iron. Cinder measures but can't make an attack against Brisket without moving.  My opponent opts to activate Piledriver on Sledge and comes into Harry with a charge only rolling 5 net hits (piledriver included) triggering Rising Anger.
5&forfait)  Seasoned Brisket activates her legendary placing herself with the ball past Fangtooth near the goal, Fangtooth dodges into Ferrite and Sledge.  She then scores a goal of the month (2 x 4) and runs the length.  (how lucky can you get)

Thinking ahead, my opponent believes he can't put the ball somewhere safe and save Sledge and Ferrite from the disaster in the middle so throws in the towel.  I'm guessing bad dice rolls played their part.


The Second Team posted on FB by Wane Wilkinson was this:

Captain: Esters
Mascot: Scum (but not allowed Sic Em plot card😜)
Player 1: Stave

Player 2: Vet Spigot
Player 3: Pint pot
Player 4: Stoker or Lucky


I replied that I would be fielding this into a Masons team and asked if Lucky or Stoker would be his pick knowing that.  Edwin Lambeck, sporting a mighty good beard judging by his profile picture, suggested I take Quaff instead of Scum with Lucky.  Jonathan Adams came into the frey and backed that up, so the list became:

Captain: Esters
Mascot:
Quaff
Player 1: Stave
Player 2: Vet spigot
Player 3: Lucky
Player 4: Pintpot


As this isn't the A-team brewers normally field and I'm more of a Tapper player normally, my opponent agreed to play a more 'fluffy' list than the full power of the Masons.  He fielded an all Female team (Flint and Marbles counted as being female) with: Honour, Harmony, Chisel, Granite, Flint and Marbles.

I lost initiative (yay for lucky) and had to kick.  Stave did his job.
1) Granite moved up as she is allowed to do before the game starts, and then activated to retrieve the ball, crawl backwards and pass it to Flint.


Vet Spigot is hiding to Lucky's left.
 2) Quaff put out his Bag on Esters (meh) and gave Second Wind to Stave.  Then he jogged towards the ball! I want to play too
 3) Flint made it clear he would go for a goal on the Pint Pot Side of things begging for a superior Strategy move - Stave loved this, moved up, lobbed a barrel on the Striker Scattering the ball to the brewers side, didn't get lucky enough to steal the ball after a scatter, so second winded himself back whence he came from.
 4) Chisel came running around doing nothing much other than picking up the ball.
5) Esters Walked up and flung some rough ground patches in possible routes to victory for Flint, hitting Chisel with one of them.
6 and the lot) Masons did masons things - nothing much happened but they ended up not being able to hold on to the ball and Vet Spigot was set up for a goal in turn 2.

Early turn 2 the goal is a fact, Flint scores the countergoal but gets to deal with Esters for it (dealing sub-par damage) but at least knocking him down.  Granite and Marbles come towards the middle where Pint Pot tried to chip away the health on Chisel with less ability then I expected using nothing but beercans.  In the end lucky also joins the fightclub in the middle and Vet Spig recieves the ball for a goal next turn.

Turn 3 Vet Spigot scores his goal scoring momentum from Harmony for that he was loaded up with 4 INF.  Spigs jogged next to Harmony (gotta love Match Fit + clear ballpath to the goal) Knocked her down with 5 dice needing 5's (It's a dice game)  Hitting her again he only got 1 result (really???) for a non momentous damage.  He then Goaded Honour (It actually worked!) and then scored the goal to dodge away towards the edge of the pitch.

Look at the ball that scattered nicely after the goal kick!!

Honour activates - Goes into Vet Spigs since she has nowhere to go - I declare the poised counter attack and get pushed away, Honour then dodges towards the dog, Quick times herself next to the dog and picks away at his healt triggering loved creature bringing his health down to 5. (4's and 1 is not bad!)  Linked goes off and Harmony flies towards the ball into the vending machine that is Stave.  He ends up with 9 HP left after all the beatings and is on the look-out for payback.  He hits Harmony (3 net hits) and knocks her down.  The ball slides of his belly into his feet and he kicks it into space since granite is to slow to get there if the scatter is ok. (it was)  He then decides to retreat to safety and takes a parting blow from Marbles to heal himself up to 13 HP.
Flint (with no INF on him) stands up.  Esters needs 2 swings before she can knock Flint down again, needs to sprint to reach Chisel and kills her Granite walks towards Esters, triggers GM and hacks at her health.
My dog jogs (yes, taking a parting blow and leaving him on 4HP) towards the ball and unsnaps it towards the obstacle, so Pint Pot can try to score.  Marbles sees what's going on and engages Pint Pot.  Pint Pot doesnt care, drinks the last of his pint pots and pushes Marbles away.  Only to find he is a hair short to score a goal...  We pass towards the dog instead and let the dog dodge towards the enemy goal poast for next turn.  What did Lucky do?  I honestly can't remember...  I doubt he did anything at all...


 Turn 4, Chisel walks back onto the pitch (I lost initiative) engaging Quaff.
1) Honour activates, she moves into the dog and kills it. Then the scatter goes wrong and the ball ends up closer to Vet Spigot than is good for the Masons.  Not even a quick time can save that ball!  So Honour has nothing left to do but ...
 ... Quick time into Pint Pot and try to kill that one!  It doesn't work, not even with a linked activatoin from Harmony to add 2 extra swings on him.  (The dice Gods are with me!)

With the Momentum from going 2nd Spigot is aiming for the finishing goal.  He sprints up towards the ball, shoots behind Chisel after goading her :

It's a wrap.
 Spigot does it and gets a strange look from his teammates...  He truly is back to his best...  but no longer a drunk...


That's all for now folks!
I hope to come back to that FB post I made and play some more teams suggested there.

Be on the look-out!

Bob Out!

Comments