The Testrun With the Engineers went a little like this:

Hello Guildballers,


Let's have that review of what I did with the engineers last time shall we?


I'm not sure how detailed my report will be since it was a long game, my opponent did field blacksmiths, but he just bought the box and opened it right before playing, so...

Before we get to it I'll repeat the list I played and will show you what blacksmiths box my opponent bought.  That should save you from going back to my previous blogpost, but if you want to read it, please stop here and go read that first!  Previous Blogpost - picking a 6 man team with Cogs

For the Engineers Ballista, Mainspring, Ratchet, Salvo, Hariet and Compound saw the field.

For the Blacksmiths we had Hearth as Captain, Alloy, Farris, bolt, Burnish, Cast.

The Game


Turn 1

I preferred to receive, picked up the ball and passed it down my lines, I shot Hearth with Ballista and Salvo and kept my distance while Bolt came running up looking to steal the ball.  The blacksmiths were spread out, so I didn't see a clear run at the goal.  I kept it on the back lines.  Burnish used his flames to put 3 models under the AOE hitting 2 of them, Poison hit the other after dirty knives game through.

Turn 2


I felt I was going about the Engineers all wrong and was looking how to fix it.  I was not feeling confident at this time.  I activated Ratchet who took care of his condition with fixer and a free comon mate on Ballista from the card I played.  I should've used fixer on

Salvo, Common mate on Ballista and then generate momentum to clear his condition but hey...  I put him in the way of the blacksmiths so they couldn't reach the ball.

I think Burnish went, popt his legendary and threw 2 plays on the 2 models I cleared.  *sigh*

Ballista went in on Bolt for an attack, a deadbolt on Farris and put up minefield.  I had the ball on him and it was stuck there since I couldn't unsnap, whilst engaging Bolt... *sigh*

Bolt activated, didn't move, but used his free play on the horse to KD Ballista, the ball scattered on Mainspring, and I think he did it again, on ballista for 1DMG and a KD on mainspring with a scatter result on Ratchet.  Still in my favour since the horse was shot back on that side and bolt just activated on that side.  I have no clue as to who I activaded in what order, but I think I cleared the KD on mainspring; I vaguely remember Cast throwing the ball off  Ratchet again and see it ending up on mainspring again!  Unlucky Blacksmiths...  I ended up with looking for trouble with Salvo, I have no clue as to what I was thinking but if Salvo survived, I could do a long bom with Mainspring and a snapshot on goal with Salvo.  I did put him inbetween the horse, Alloy and Hearth who still had an activation and INF enough to kill him.  Hearth went first KD'ing Salvo fucking up what little chance my bad play had.

He also took some damage.  I then went with Harriet creating momentum enough to stand Salvo up and make the snap shot (but didn't do it as he could easely get KD'd again and then I couldn't do Common Mate on him... So I left him where I was thining I'd stand him up with mainspring when called for.  He didn't live to tell the tale ...  I moved up mainspring with the ball to one side of the board thinking I could use Ballista next turn with minefield to discourage the smiths from coming for the ball.


Turn 3


Who'd have thought, Mainspring gets hit, explodes, hurting one Blacksmith and 2 of my own players, blasted thing...  I'm down 3-0, the ball scatters onto the smiths.  I can't get it, they score.

Down 7-0.  I need to get my shit together.  I start concentrating on one player at a time and work on the horse that already had some, but leave it alive on 3HP at end of turn (a tooled up Ballista).   Alloy took 4 from minefield and was on 8 HP, dodging into range avoiding my Goalkeeper...  It was next turn or never.

I kick out the ball to the other side of the field since all blacksmitsh were near the middle of the field close to their goal and I had mainspring to bring on.


Turn 4


I don't get to go first and I'm surprised to see bolt activate first.  Guess he wants to move away before the minefield is back?  Ballista gets knocked down through his stupid horse shoe play again.  I use the momentum I have to stand him up, shoot the horse with deadbolt for 2VP and 2 MP.  Move over to alloy with a charge putting up minefield (thinking if I don't kill him with the rest of my influence he can't move away with his 3 INF) I end up not killing him...  Some bad rolls later and 2 counterattacks Alloy ends up near Ratchet who can kill him and I'm back in the game on the back foot, but with the ball in my camp again 7 - 4 .  Mainspring moves to his goal since the dead blacksmiths might come up either side and burnish, and Hearth are still there coming back to that side.  Mainspring drops the ball close enough for compound to pick it up.

Hearth pops her legendary and all of the sudden my models are all engaged.  Ratchet gets some attention, Turns out Hearth is no longer interested in the side mainspring was on and thus turned her attention on the engineer she can reach...

Ratchet dies.
Bolt moves back up and I decide to go in with Compound last activation to engage him dropping the ball.  But first I need to get Hariet out of trouble...  (or was it Salvo again? I don't really remember) I don't. 11 - 4


Turn 5


Bolt wants to run away but opts not to, engaged by Compound.  I have no idea who activated instead.  Ballista goes in on Bolt and I kill him 11-6, I use second wind to get him within 10" of the goal and pop my legendary.  At that time the store was almost closing and I didn't think I could turn the game around with all the blacksmiths able to go in on Ballista.  Hearth wants to repeat the Salvo trick, KD's him and passes the turn, but this time I'm sitting on 5 MP, so thinking the game is over for me anyway, I go in, to krank up the score to an honourable 10 VP.  The Ballista boy gets stood up before the long bom pass that lands (needing a 5), the snap shot (-1 Die for engagement, ignoring 2 models on the ballpath to the goal for legendary) hits ! I'm on 11 - 10.

Ballista dies.


13-10 for the Blacksmiths

After playing this game I think I need a bruiser...  But I can't remember finding one in my preview...  I'll go back and check.

As for now I'm thinking about bringing Locus instead of Compound, but I hope he brings 2 INF.  If not, it'll be V Velocity.  If he does I might swap out Hariet for VVelocity anyway...

I didn't get to use my mainspring plan, ... doesn't make it a bad plan.  Blacksmiths only saw the ball once and they kicked it in my goal when they did.  But it still makes me think about bringing mother in this line-up.  I have some more testruns to do.


See you when I make them?!


That's all folks


Bob out.

Comments