Returning to Guild Ball with Hunters

Hello Readers,

I've made plans to play a game of guild ball coming wednesday.  Not sure yet if it'll happen with COVID-19 restrictions changing faster than I change my underwear, but hey, I like planning...

Last few games I played I almost always chose my 6 players at random, but since it's been a while I think that would be a bad Idea.
I've been dreaming about using Ulfr in my 6 so let's begin our preperations by downloading the new cards and find where Ulfr is and what he does.  We'll build from there.

Player one; Ulfr:

His traits show he likes a lot of terrain on the board (light footed) and wants to charge people (Ambush).  He also wants to go in first (Lone Hunter) or stay away from his teammates alltogether.

With only a melee zone of 1" he's looking for a wrap to hit his Tackle and at least a 2 inch dodge or a where'd they go.  Paired with his movement this ability gives him a 10/12" move. And a shot from 8" away...

Finishing up with his 16 HP and 4/0 defense stats he's your avarage squaddie if you ask me.

What stands out is his 6 TAC he might have - but looking at his playbook he's not going to use it to deal damage.

Wingers; 

After reading Ulfr's cards I can't really say my knowledge of Hunters is that good that the 2nd player screams at me: "ME ME Pick ME"...  So, why not go by the positions they play in.  I've got a Striker, let's look at the wingers: Zarola, Jaecar and Edge.
Looking at Edge first I'm thinking : 'Unorthodox is asking for a lot of Snare - which would be good for Ulfr his 6 TAC too...'   She's pretty mobile and I wanted a more football oriented team + she has close control and deals the snared condition herself if she needs to, only 4 TAC though... so probably not the first model to throw in there.
Looking at Jaecar 2nd I'm thinking: 'Back to the shadows pairs well with Ulfr as Jaecar can dodge out of his way for the 2 extra TAC.  He lays traps so snare is there too.  He's clearly a DMG dealer that CAN play football if he want's to, so I'm not saying no...'  He's at least as mobile as Edge but is no footballing player per sé.  Do I want DMG up my sleeve?
So Zarola comes in last, and looking at her card I go: 'Legendary play on a squaddie... tempting'  But taking her almost certainly means taking FAHAD (Linked) She deals DMG from a distance and helps with snared, has a 5/0 DEF so I'm not warming up to her yet.

Not convinced with who I want I'm making a mental note: there are 2 wingers, so maybe I can take 2 of the above... But I don't feel them yet.

Midfielders; 

Chaska doesn't really get my blood pumping, he might have his use shooting and repositioning enemy players from 6" out, but at a cost of 3 INF? I don't feel convinced. Not even for the free trap he brings.
Minx brings a free character play to the table but I don't need that yet...  The traps are a nice bonus but doesn't feel like a thing I'm looking for in this team. Marked for Death is her most interesting feature, but that would mean targeting a model that has already moved or starting up a brawl with multiple models, and I'm not looking to brawl...
Seenah needs snared on models to shine, can break up a scrum with The Mauling so might prove usefull, especially with 21 HP and Tough Hide...  I'm thinking if I bring the bear, I'm bringing Jaecar as a damage duo. (and then maybe Edge for the footballing duo?  That would leave a Captain and a Mascotte and that would also mean I didn't even look at Hearne.

Centre Back

O Hearne plays well with a forest (I'm thinking Theron) and that would also help Edge a bit, I would get a free character play, as a bonus AND Singled Out for more TAC, a rare thing.
V Hearne Can jump to within an inch of an enemy model after skewering it (using MP instead of INF if I want), but then what?

Players 2 and 3 

After all this I've decided to go with Seenah and Jaecar, even if it takes me away from the footballing game, I feel like it would work well.

O Captain my Captain

Theron has the advantage of snaring what he damages, throwing forests around like it's nobody's business. And handing out free character plays. He's a midfielder on the defense and Seenah is there for the offense with Jaecar backing them up.  He gives control over movement through Pinned.  So number 4 could be O Hearne...  No legendary though
Skatha is Edge's Sister, so maybe Edge is player number 4 as you would think there is sinergy there...  But is there? the AOE does help.  The legendary depends on the situation but might help players out of a bad spot, I do like the Blessing more, she can use a ball to move or make others move, OR score goals for 1VP (making her a target for the team -> making it easy to cover her with Seenah and Jaecar)...
But there is also Steeljaw, and what to think of her?  It's all about the trap markers although Bait sounds nice to reposition models and give them snare if they move.  Still she doesn't really fit the football theme I wanted to go for.

Skatha it is.

What Pet to bring?

Fahad charges for free and has a good defense stat and nice mobility.
Snow is more complicated as a beacon for hurt models. (luring people in to the skatha bubble) and can we trigger Loved Creature at all?  He plays more ball than Fahad does.  I see Feral Instincts as less usefull, depending on what team we're up against.

I want to go with Snow.

So who did I pick as my 6?

Skatha, Snow, Edge, Seenah, Jaecaer, Ulfr.

Will that work?  Hell if I know...  If I get to try them, I'll let you know!

Comments